Thailand Elite Visa FAQs
What is Thailand Elite Visa?
The Thailand Elite Visa is a long-term Tourist visa for Thailand. It allows affluent foreign visitors and their families unlimited access to Thailand for 5, 10, or 20 years.
Who created the Thai Elite Visa?
Thai Elite visas are issued by the Thailand Privilege Card Company Limited, which is a subsidiary of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports in cooperation with the Bureau of Immigration.
What Thailand Elite Visas are available?
There are 7 Thailand Elite Visas:
- Elite Easy Access - 5 year visa
- Elite Family Excursion - 5 year family Visa
- Elite Privilege Access - 10 year visa
- Elite Family Alternative - 10 year family Visa
- Elite Superiority Extension - 20 year visa
- Elite Ultimate Privilege - 20 year visa
- Elite Family Premium - 20 year family visa
How much does an Elite Visa Cost?
- Elite Easy Access - 600,000 THB with no annual fee
- Elite Family Excursion - 800,000 THB for 2 people with no annual fee. Additional family members can apply for 300,000 THB / person
- Elite Family Alternative- It costs 800,000 THB for 1 person with no annual fee. Additional family members can apply for 700,000 THB / person.
- Elite Privilege Access - 1,000,000 THB with no annual fee. Additional family members there is a fee of 800,000 THB / person.
- Elite Superiority Extension - 1,000,000 THB with no annual fee.
- Elite Ultimate Privilege - 2.14 million THB with an annual fee of 21,400 THB.
- Elite Family Premium - 1,000,000 THB with an annual fee of 10,000 THB.
What are the Thai Elite Visa Benefits?
- The Thai Elite Visa is a 5-year renewable multiple entry visa with an extendable 1-year length of stay per each entry.
- Uninterrupted stay in Thailand for 1 year per visit.
- The Thai Elite Visa holder will be represented by a Thai Elite staff member for Thai Immigrations 90-day reporting.
- Expedited immigration and passport control processing when arriving in Thailand.
- Private transport to and from the airport.
- Exclusive shopping, hotel, resort and dining access and discounts.
- Benefits available to visiting family and friends.
- Exclusive access and discount to Thailand’s best golf courses and relaxation spas.
- Free annual medical check up.
What are the qualifications for Thailand Elite?
The applicant for Thai Elite Visa must have and maintain to have the following qualifications:
- Holder of a valid foreign passport
- Being allowed to stay in Thailand in accordance with the immigration laws, which means the applicant has no outstanding overstay record in Thailand
- Not have a current Non-Immigrant visa in Thailand
- No age limit is required for this program except for the Elite Ultimate Privilege, which requires applicants to be at least 20 years old
- Not having been sentenced by a judgement to imprisonment in any countries except for an offence committed to negligence
- Not having been adjudicated bankrupt
- Not having been declared as a person of unsound mind, incompetence, or quasi-incompetence
Are there any restrictions with nationality when applying for the Thai Elite Visa?
There are some countries that are restricted to apply. Listed below are the countries:
- Africa: Central Africa, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Guinea, Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Sao Tome, and Principe, Sierra Leone, Somalia, and Sudan.
- Middle East: Algeria, Iraq, Egypt, Iran, Lebanon, Libya, Palestine, Syria, and Yemen
- Asia: North Korea, Afghanistan, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka
What is the application process?
- Contact a registered Thailand Elite Agent
- Complete and return the Questionnaire to begin the background check
- Sign (every page) of the pre-filled application form and return with a scanned copy of your passport profile page and a passport photo (can be a high quality phone photo but must be on a white background).
- Background check is completed by Thailand Elite & Thai Immigration
- Approval and receive an Approval Letter with payment methods
- Pay membership fee
- Receive Thailand Elite Privilege member card and Welcome Letter
- Book an appointment to affix the visa to a passport
What documents are needed?
During the process, you will need the following documents:
- Valid Passport
- Signed application form (sign all pages) + passport profile page(s).
- Passport photo or high resolution photo on a white background
- Family Visas: Marriage Certificate, birth certificates for children or additional family members, or civil union documents
What is the minimum passport validity for this Thai Elite Visa application?
Applicants need to have at least 1 year validity in their passports.
What happens if I do not have the minimum passport validity?
If the validity duration of your passport is insufficient, a visa will be affixed in your current passport with the same expiry date as your passport. When you receive a new passport, an appointment can be made at the Thai Embassy in Bangkok and a sticker will be affixed to the new passport for the balance of the 5-year term.
I have multiple passports. Can I apply for a Thai Elite visa under one passport and affix the following term to a different passport?
No. A Thai Elite Visa is linked to a passport number. If you want to affix a visa to a passport from a different country, you will need to cancel the current visa and apply for a new visa. This will involve a new background check, approval, and payment.
Can I upgrade or extend my Elite Visa?
A 5-year Elite Easy Access visa can be upgraded to a 20-year Elite Superiority Extension visa or the Elite Ultimate Privilege Visa.
All other visas will complete their full term. A person can apply for a new visa at the end of the term. This will require a new application, background check and fee payment to be completed.
Can one person apply for multiple people?
If applying for a family visa, one person can be the point of correspondence, but all applicants (of age) will need to sign the application form.
If applying for an individual visa, an agent can have a single point of contact, but each person must lodge an individual application.
Is there any income qualification for the applicant to be granted the Thai Elite Visa?
No. Unlike other long-term Thai visas, there are no income or financial requirements for a Thai Elite Visa. You do not need to provide proof of income when applying.
Is there any age limit for an applicant to be granted the Thai Elite Visa?
There is no age limit to apply except for the Elite Ultimate Privilege package. The Elite Ultimate Privilege applicants must be over 20 years old.
How long is the application process?
The application process can take 1 to 3 months depending on your nationality.
Do I need to be in Thailand to apply for a visa?
No. People can apply while in Thailand, or in a foreign country. The process can be completed with a registered agent while outside Thailand.
Can I apply for the Thai Elite Visa even if I have a tourist visa?
Yes. As long as they haven't overstayed, people in Thailand on a Tourist Visa or Visa Exemption can apply for a Thai Elite Visa. The permit to stay or tourist visa can be converted into an Elite visa without leaving Thailand.
Can I work even though I am a Thai Elite member?
No. Working in Thailand requires a work permit. A work permit is not permitted under a Tourist Visa. If you want to apply for a work permit, you will need to apply for a Non-Immigrant visa. Your Thailand Elite Visa can be paused while you stay in Thailand with a work permit. The Elite visa can be reinstated when the work permit is cancelled.
Can Thai Elite members work for an NGO?
Any type of work in Thailand requires a work permit. This includes volunteer work. A person must have a Non Immigrant B visa and work permit if working for a company or a non immigrant O visa and work permit if working for an NGO.
Will I be approved if I have previously held a Non-Immigrant visa?
At the moment, people who have previously held a Non-Immigrant Education or Volunteer visa will not be approved for a Thailand Elite visa. There is no correspondence from Thailand Immigration if this policy will change.
Can I apply if I have had an "overstay" in Thailand in the past?
If the overstay is fixed (paid) and shows as paid in passport then you are eligible to apply. If there is an outstanding overstay in your passport, you will not be approved for a Thai Elite visa.
How long after approval to get the visa sticker?
After approval, a new member has three months to pay the visa fee and organise affixing the visa to their passport. An appointment can normally be made within 3 weeks after the membership payment is cleared.
Do I need to arrive in Thailand as soon as the visa is affixed to my passport?
No. You have 3 months to pay the membership fee and affix the visa to your passport, but you can enter Thailand anytime after your visa is affixed.
How long do visas last?
Visas are issued for 5 years. A 10 year visa member will receive 2 x 5-year visas. A 20 year member will receive 4 x 5-year stickers in their passport.
Where do we get our visa sticker?
Members can affix the visa to their passport in three ways:
- At the local Thai Embassy or Consulate in the member's home country.
- At Bangkok airport on arrival
- At the Thailand Embassy in Bangkok
If I already am a Thai Elite Member, do I need to do the 90-day report?
Yes. All foreigners are required to complete 90-day reporting at Immigration. As a Thai Elite member, a Thailand Elite Privilege staff member will complete your 90-day report on your behalf so you do not need to attend in person.
What if I failed to do the 90-day report?
It will be considered as an "overstay". You will be liable for any overstay fees, and based on your record of overstaying in the country, you may be subject to a ban or suspension for a particular length of time.
If I have a child, does my child need to have a visa to stay with me in Thailand?
Yes. All foreigners are required to hold a valid visa in Thailand. Children under the age of 15 will not be subject to overstay. An overstay stamp or find will be noted in the passport of a child under 15.
Is it possible for someone with a Thai Elite Visa to buy real estate in Thailand?
Yes. Foreigners can own a condominium, but not land in their own name. A Thai Elite member can purchase a condominium or buy a house and lease the land. It is recommended to seek legal advice before buying property.
Can I apply for Thai Elite by purchasing property?
For the property partnership, there are only specific developments that you need to buy the condo in order to get a free Elite Visa. It must be at least 10 million THB worth of condo that you need to purchase from the developer.
The developer themselves will be the one to arrange your Elite visa.
Can I open a Thai bank account?
Yes. As a Thai Elite member you will receive assistance to open a bank account in Thailand.
Do I need to place savings in a Thai bank account when opening?
No savings need to be placed or held in a Thai bank account when it is opened.
Do I need a Thai mobile number for banking?
Yes. To access your Thai bank account through mobile banking you will need a Thailand mobile number. A phone number is needed before going to the bank.
How long can I stay per visit?
With Thai Elite, you can stay in the country for up to 1 year per visit. If you cannot leave the country at the end of the year, you can contact Thailand Elite Privilege and organise a 1 year extension. This will allow you to stay in the country for 2 years uninterrupted.
Do you have to have a return flight booked for application?
No. Unlike other Tourist Visas, Thai Elite members do not need to provide details of an exit flight because they can stay in Thailand for up to a year.
Do I need to have Medical Insurance for Thai Elite?
No. Medical Insurance is not required to apply for a Thailand ELite Visa. Travel Insurance is recommended for all foreigners coming to Thailand because foreign visitors are not eligible for free medical care in the country.
Siam Legal can help organise annual insurance policies for people who are intending to stay in Thailand long term.
How can I pay for the application?
The membership can be done by credit card or wire transfer.
When do I pay for the visa?
No payment is required until you receive your final approval.
How can I pay the fee?
There are several ways to pay the membership fee. Approved applicants will receive a letter with all payment methods.
- Transfer from a local bank. 1 business day (proof needed)
- Deposit at local bank. Thailand Privilege Card Account (proof needed)
- Mobile Banking (proof needed)
- Credit Card (proof needed)
- Overseas bank - Exact amount in THB. 3-5 days. (proof needed - MT103)
- AliPay - Scan QR code (proof needed)
Do I need to pay a fee when each 5-year visa issues?
No. If you apply for a 10 or 20 year visa, you will only pay an initial membership fee. You do not need to pay another fee when the following terms start.
Can I pay for Elite with crypto?
No. It is not possible to pay the Thai Elite membership fee with cryptocurrency.
Can I pay my membership fee in instalments or is it a single payment?
No payment is needed until your visa is approved, but the membership fee must be paid in full. It is not possible to pay for the visa in instalments. If your bank has a daily payment limit, you can contact Thailand Elite Privilege and organise the fee to be paid in full over multiple payments.
If I cancel my Thai Elite visa, will I receive a refund of the membership fee?
No. If a visa is cancelled, membership fees are not refunded.
Does Siam Legal charge any additional fees as a Thailand Elite Agent?
Siam Legal does not charge any additional fees. Thailand Elite compensates Siam Legal directly for each referral.
Do I pay the membership fee to Siam Legal?
The membership fee is paid directly to Thailand Elite Privilege. Siam Legal can advise and liaise with Thai Elite Privilege but will not handle any transactions.
Can I apply for other people as Power of Attorney?
Yes. If you have enduring Power of Attorney, it is possible to lodge an application form for another person. You will need to provide a copy of all relevant POA documents. The documents must be certified and in English or Thai.
If I transfer money from overseas to a Thai bank account, will I pay tax?
No. You are not required to pay tax on money transferred internationally into a Thai bank account.
Do I need to obtain a Tax Identification Number(TIN) or pay tax if I have a Thai Elite visa?
Thai Elite visa does not require a TIN. Members can apply for a TIN and pay tax in Thailand voluntarily.
Using this program, does one qualify as a Resident of Thailand for Tax purposes?
The Thai Elite membership will not lead to Thailand Permanent Residency. However, members of Thai Elite can pay for income tax in Thailand and obtain a TIN. If you are looking to obtain PR in Thailand, it is best to speak to a Visa Agent about other visa options.
Start Your Application Now!
You may download the Thailand Elite application forms here:
The process of applying for the Thailand Elite Visa seems easy and straightforward. It is the most convenient visa option to travel and enter Thailand with ease during this time or even after this pandemic.
Should you be interested in applying for a Thai Elite Visa, please do not hesitate to contact us. You may call us for a free consultation or contact us via LINE and WhatsApp. Just scan with your phone any of the QR codes below.
Rex Baay | Senior Immigration Consultant
Rex joined Siam Legal in 2009 and throughout his 13 years of experience at the firm, he handled more than 2,000 immigration cases for Thailand. He has great knowledge of Thai non-immigrant visas such as business visas, marriage visas, retirement visas, and Thai Elite visas. He is also handling more complicated cases such as changing visas within Thailand. With a fluent grasp of English, he can provide a simple and easy-to-understand explanation about what to expect at every stage of the Thai Visa application process. He works hand-in-hand with our Thai immigration lawyer in Bangkok to assist foreign clients at the immigration office. His expertise can be invaluable to those in search of immigration assistance to Thailand. Feel free to contact him at our firm.