Thailand Education Visa for Foreign Citizens | Siam Legal International

Thailand Education "ED" Visa

for Foreign Citizens

Thailand Education Visa is issued to foreign applicants who wish to study in a university, attend seminar, training session, or internship in Thailand. The holder of the ED visa is entitled to stay in Thailand for 90 days and can be extended for a period of one year from the date of first entry in Thailand.

  • Passport with validity of not less than 6 months
  • Completely filled out visa application form
  • 2 passport-sized (4 x 6 cm) recent photo of the applicant
  • Recommendation letter
  • Letter of acceptance from the institute or organization
  • Student ID and Academic records (if currently studying)
  • Additional documents as deemed necessary

Note: Nationals of certain countries are required to apply for a visa at the designated Thai Embassy or Thai Consulate-General in their home/residence country. Please contact the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate-General to find out where to apply for a visa prior to departure to Thailand.

How to Apply for a Thai ED Visa

To apply for a Non-Immigrant ED Visa you must make your application at a Thai Embassy or Consulate outside of Thailand. Applicants from the following nations will be required to apply for an ED Visa at a Thai Embassy or Consulate in their home/residential country or at a designated Thai Embassy: Bangladesh, China, India, Iran, Sri-Lanka and Middle Eastern countries.

In order to make your application you will first need to be enrolled in a recognized full-time education course which meets all the requirements of the visa and you must have paid at least 50% of the total course costs, or the full amount of the course.

Once you have enrolled, the school or institution will need to provide you with all the necessary paper work in order for you to make your application. In some cases it may be possible for the school to mail the paperwork directly to the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate at which you are applying.

Applications for ED Visas usually take around 4-5 business days.

90-day Reporting

Holders of the Non-Immigrant ED Visa must report their current address to a Thai immigration office every 90 days. This can be done either:

  • in person at the Thai immigration office
  • by mail
  • or through an agent with a Power of Attorney

If you are outside in Thailand on the date your 90-day reporting is due, you do not need to report your status. Your 90-day reporting will begin again from the day you re-enter Thailand.

Re-entry Permit

With the exception of those on a multiple entry visa, you will need to get a re-entry permit first if you plan on leaving Thailand, in order for you not to lose the validity of your visa when you leave the country.

A re-entry permit can be secured from a Thai Immigration Office or International Airport. The fees are 1,000 Baht for a single re-entry, and 3,800 Baht for a multiple re-entry permit.