The following documents are required for a Belgian to marry a Thai national in Thailand. Ensure that you have all the documentation when starting the process.
Marriage Registration Necessary Documents
- A birth certificate
- Certificates of residence, of nationality and of civil status
- A certificate certifying that he/she is not married ("certificat de celibataire")
- In case the Belgian national was previously married, proof of divorce
- A certificate of good character ("certificat de bonne vie et moeurs")
- An attestation from the employer, a bank statement
- The names and addresses of two (2) witnesses in Belgium
- If the Belgian national is under 18 years old, he/she must provide a letter of consent by his/her parents/guardians
Contact Information of Government OfficesTHE MINISTRY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS IN BELGIUM
27, Rue des Petits Carmes
(opening hours: 09:00-12:00, 10 Euro per document)
THE ROYAL THAI EMBASSY IN BELGIUM
2, Square du Val de la Cambre
(opening hours: 10:00-12:00 and 14:00-15:00, 3 Euro per document)
THE EMBASSY OF BELGIUM
17th floor, Sathorn City Tower, 175 South Sathorn Road
Tungmahamek sub-district, Sathorn, Bangkok 10120
Tel: 02-679 54 54
Fax: 02-679 54 65
- Based on the above-mentioned documents, the Belgian Embassy will issue two new documents (in English).
- These two documents must be translated into Thai.
- Contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand (Legalization Service, Kimpo Building, 3rd floor, Muang Thong Thani, Chaengwattana Road in Nonthaburi, tel. 02-503 45 39) in order to have the translation documents legalized.
- Marriage can take place at any Thai City Hall (Amphoe).
- The couple should obtain for the marriage certificate and a copy of the marriage registration book (both in Thai).
- Have these two marriage documents translated into English.
- Contact the Ministry of Foreign Affairs again to have the translation of marriage documents legalized.
Marriage Registration: Returning To Belgium
The spouse must apply for a visa at the Belgian Embassy in Bangkok. The following documents are required:
- 3 application forms and 3 photos
- a valid passport
- the marriage certificate (both original and translation, legalized)
- a copy of the marriage registration book (both original and translation, legalized)
- a copy of the passport of Belgian spouse
- a copy of the birth certificate (translated and legalized)
- a medical certificate
The visa application will be forwarded for consideration by the competent authorities in Belgium. This may take about two months for a reply from the Belgian authorities.
NB: THE FEES MAY ALTER WITHOUT PRIOR NOTICE