Thai Marriage Registration
Marriage Registration Procedures In Thailand
Thai marriage registration varies depending on nationality. The Thai marriage can be solemnized with or without a Betrothal Ceremony in ritual manner and also through court. The betrothal ceremony is nothing but a promise to marry and in the form of an agreement.
The agreement is effective only when the man gives engagement property to the woman as evidence. The injured party is entitled to claim damages in the event of breach of the betrothal agreement.
Couples who are wishing to marry should have the following eligibility to get married in Thailand:
- Either of them should not be less than 17 years of age or should be in marriageable age in accordance to the law enforced from your home country. The Court may, in case of having appropriate reason, allow them to marry before attaining such age.
- Either of them should not be an insane person or adjudged incompetent.
- Both of them should not be in blood relations in the direct ascendant or descendant line, or brother or sister of full or half blood i.e. should no be with in the prohibited degrees of relationship.
- Both of them should not have the same adoptive parents.
- Either of them should not have a spouse at the time of marriage. If woman whose husband died or whose marriage has become terminated, the marriage can only take place after expiry of 310 days from such death or termination of marriage, but before such period if
- A child has been born during such period;
- The divorced couple remarry;
- There is a certificate showing that the woman is not pregnant;
- There is an order of the Court allowing the woman to marry.
- A copy of their passport along with arrival card
- Affidavit regarding the marital status of the person from the respective embassy.
- Translated copy of affidavits to Thai certified by an approved Foreign Ministry Translator.
Tips for Marriage Registration in Thailand
- A marriage can take place on declaration made by both the parties intending to marry by giving consent to take each other as husband and wife publicly before the registrar in order to have it recorded by the Registrar.
- An application for registration for legal marriage in Thailand can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple.
- If the marriage registration is filed at the District Office located in female's birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Officer.
- If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office or Minor District Office, the couple can submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of that District Office.
- Marriage shall be affected only on registration being made. After registration is completed, a Marriage Registration Certificate to be obtained as evidence.
Need help with legally registering your marriage in Thailand?
|Local Office Numbers:|
Marriage Registration by Nationality
- Thai Marriage Registation for British Nationals
- Thai Marriage Registation for U.S Nationals
- Thai Marriage Registration for Danish Nationals
- Thai Marriage Registration for Australian Nationals
- Thai Marriage Registration for New Zealand Nationals
- Thai Marriage Registration for Canadian Nationals
- Thai Marriage Registration for Belgian Nationals
- Thai Marriage Registration for Russian Nationals
- Thai Marriage Registration for Vietnamese Nationals