US Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand

US Visa Application

About the US Embassy

The United States Embassy in Thailand is one of the largest embassies in the world. Among other functions, the Embassy provides consular services to United States citizens, processes the visa applications of Thai and other non-US citizens’applying for US visas, and facilitates diplomatic relations between the governments of the United States and Thailand. Mr Michael George DeSombre is the current Ambassador.

The American Citizen Services section is tasked to assist American expatriates and visitors to Thailand and neighboring countries by providing assistance with passport applications, including the issuance of emergency passports and other related travel documents, reports of birth and death in Thailand, legalizations, facilitating applications for federal benefits and providing emergency assistance to distressed Americans.

The Visa Section of the US Embassy Thailand, on the other hand, provides services to Thai and foreign nationals who intend to enter the US. In particular, the embassy in Bangkok processes all types of visa applications i.e. non-immigrant and immigrant visas. Non-immigrant visas include tourist and business visas, while commonly issued immigrant visas include K1 Fiancé Visas, CR-1/IR-1 Marriage Visas, employment based visas and others. The US Consulate in Chiang Mai can only process non-immigrant visas and assists Americans living in or visiting the province or surrounding areas.

US Embassy Thailand


American Services and Visa Section
US Embassy in Thailand
95 Wireless Road, Bangkok, Thailand 10330
Monday-Friday from 7 AM to 4 PM
Closed on official holidays of both the US and Thailand
Tel: +66-2-205-4000

The US Consulate in Chiang Mai
387 Witchayanond Road, Chiang Mai, Thailand 50300
Tel: +66-53-107-700

NOTE: Visitors to the embassy's Consular Services and Visa Section will only be admitted if they have an appointment.

US Embassy Thailand to Siam Legal Bangkok


US Passports

If your US Passport is lost or stolen while you are in Thailand, the US Embassy can help you obtain an emergency passport so you can travel home. It takes at least 24 hours for the embassy to issue an emergency passport, which is only valid for a few months.

The US Embassy is also able to renew existing US passports and issue new US passports. Passport applicants may appear in person at the US Embassy or apply by mail and submit 2 passport size photos, proof of US citizenship, such as a copy of a current passport, and proof of identity. The passports will be mailed to your mailing address in Thailand.

The embassy no longer offers the addition of extra pages to US passports, so it is now necessary to renew your passport if all the pages have been used.

US Citizenship and Report of Birth

If you are an American citizen and you have a child born in Thailand, your child is a US citizen by birth right. In order to prove your child’s US citizenship and receive a US passport, you will need to register the birth at the US Embassy or Consulate in Thailand. You can start your child's registration process by scheduling an appointment. Your child must appear in person at the US Embassy with both parents. Once your child is registered, they will receive a Certificate of Citizenship and can apply for a US passport.

Marriage Affidavit

Thai law requires that any US Citizen who wishes to perform a legal marriage registration in Thailand must obtain an affidavit from the embassy stating they are eligible for marriage. To obtain this affidavit, you must appear in person at the US Embassy in Bangkok and sign an affidavit in the presence of a consular officer. The consular officer will notarize the form while you wait at the embassy. If you are marrying another US citizen, your American partner will also need to obtain the same affidavit.

Income Affidavit

The US Consulate in Chiang Mai will no longer certify or issue income affidavits for Thai retirement and marriage visa applications. The US citizen must set up a Thai bank account and transfer their monthly income, such as personal/employment income or social security benefits, into the account in order to meet the requirements of the Thai Immigration Bureau.

Notary Services

Consular Officers may provide specific notarial services authorized by relevant US law and Department of State policy for all US citizens. The consular section may provide acknowledgement of signature, power of attorney and certified copies of US passports. Certain services are not offered and these include, certifying copies of academic credentials, marriage, birth and divorce certificates issued in the US without authentication from the US Department of State. In cases where the consular office cannot provide any notarial services you require, you may contact a competent Thai notary lawyer to certify your documents, particularly if such documents will be used in Thailand.

Emergency Assistance

If you are a US citizen you should register your presence with the US Embassy while in Thailand. This allows the Embassy to contact you in the event of emergency and to provide up to date travel information. If you are arrested or a victim of a crime in Thailand, you have the right to meet with a consular official who will provide you with information on the justice system and connect you with a Thailand lawyer. The consular official will check on your treatment, follow the progress of your case, and help you communicate with relatives in the United States.

When a US citizen dies in Thailand, the Thai authorities will notify the US Embassy in Bangkok. The embassy will confirm the death and identity and notify the next-of-kin of the deceased and help coordinate repatriation. If the deceased was resident in Thailand with a Thai will, you may need to contact a probate lawyer to administer any will or estate.

It is also important to know that the US Embassy does not offer financial assistance or help with medical expenses.

US Citizens who require emergency assistance should call +66 2 205 4000. This number is available 24 hours a day.

Call Us at 1 (800) 863-1941

Social Security

Although the US Embassy does not directly process applications for Social Security benefits, they can assist applicants by certifying documents and providing forms. Completed applications should be sent to the regional Social Security office at the US Embassy in Manila, Philippines.

Absentee Voting

If you will be in Thailand during a US election, the Military and Overseas Voters Empowerment (MOVE) Act provides a streamlined process to request and receive an absentee ballot. You will mail your completed election ballot to the US Embassy who will post it to the US. Envelopes will be mailed two business days after receipt by the US Embassy. Once received, please allow two to four weeks for delivery to the United States. You can start the online process here: and there is also a voting assistance officer at the US Embassy in Bangkok who you can reach at

US Visa Services for Thai and Other Citizens

The United States Embassy in Bangkok processes the visa applications of Thai citizens. The final step of the US visa application process is an interview at the US Embassy in Bangkok. Some visa interviews may be conducted at the US Consulate in Chiang Mai if it is more convenient for the applicant.

The US Embassy does not have a walk up window where visitors can receive visa information. Thai citizens who need visa information may contact an immigration specialist experienced in handling US tourist (B2) and business (B1) visa applications as well as immigrant K1 and K2 visas, CR-1 and IR-1 visas, and US visa denials and waiver applications.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find a Notary in Bangkok?

Our notary lawyers are fully licensed lawyers practicing in Thailand and also licensed to provide notarial services by the Lawyers Council of Thailand. They are able to legally notarize documents, authenticate signatures or documents and witness affidavits or statements of persons under oath.

How do I contact the US Embassy in Thailand?

From inside Thailand you may call 02-205-4000.
From outside Thailand, you may call +66-2-205-4000 (Thai number) or 202-640-2632 (USA number)
Email Address: (Bangkok) or (Chiang Mai).

Can I go to the US embassy without an appointment?

No, you need to book an appointment in advance and bring your appointment confirmation page to enter the US Embassy. Appointments are made online through the US embassy website.

Can the US Embassy help me get home during COVID-19 crisis?

In the event of most emergencies, including COVID-19, the embassy will not pay for a flight to return home. If you are a US citizen who does not have access to funding, you may be eligible for a repatriation loan. A repatriation loan is only for immediate travel to the United States and cannot be used to remain in Thailand. The Embassy can use the repatriation loan to purchase a ticket to the United States on the next available flight. The loan can also be used to pay for lodging and food associated with the relevant travel. This is a US Government loan program which you will be required to repay in order to be eligible to renew a US passport.

During the COVID-19 crisis, when will the US Embassy Consular Section reopen for notarial services?

The US Consular Sections in Bangkok and Chiang Mai have suspended their services until further notice. They are available to assist with emergency requests only. When routine services are re-established, there will be limitations on the number of appointments available to ensure adequate social distancing in the waiting rooms. For those seeking to notarize documents for use in the United States, you may wish to consider using alternative options, which may include remote notarial service providers.

Call Us at 1 (877) 252-8831