Marriage Registration

for New Zealand Citizens

Under Thai law, for a marriage to be legally recognized, the parties must be registered at Registrar Office (Amphur or Khet). Each district in Thailand has its own registrar office. The local registrar office will require both parties to complete the following steps before a marriage can be registered.

If either party is a foreigner, the Amphur requires authenticated copies of a passport, a completed Statutory Declaration Form translated into Thai, and the documents mentioned in point 2 if applicable. Statutory Declaration Forms are available at the Consular Section of the New Zealand Embassy.

Marriage Registration Process

You must complete a Statutory Declaration, which can be obtained from the New Zealand Embassy in Bangkok at the address below

New Zealand Embassy
14th Floor M Thai Tower, All Season Place
87 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330
Tel: +66 2 254 2530
Fax: +66 2 253 9045
Office hours: Monday – Friday 07.30 – 12.00 and 13.00 – 16.00 hrs

Appointment should be made for your convenience to complete the Statutory Declaration Form and have your signatures witnessed by the Consul. You must present your passport as proof of your identity. There will be a fee applied for this service. Have the Statutory Declaration Form translated into Thai at a translation agency, some are located on Witthayu Rd. (Wireless Rd). If one of the parties has been married before, he/she must have the original divorce certificate or death certificate of their spouse translated into Thai.

Once the Statutory Declaration has been translated, the documents will have to be authenticated, this must be done at the address given below

Legalization Division, 3Rd Floor, Department Of Consular Affairs
Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 123 Chaeng Watthana Road
Bangkok 10120
Tel: 0–2575 1056/9
Fax: 0–2575–1054
Service hours: Monday – Friday 08:30 – 14:30 hrs

The legalization Division will require an original copy of Statutory Declaration and its translation as well as a copy of your passport. There will be a fee on application. The process will take around two days to complete.

Once you have completed the above requirement, you should go to an Amphur to registrar the marriage. Take with you the above documents, including your passport and the interpreter to facilitate the communication with Amphur officials (this is generally required if neither party can speak Thai). It is important to make an appointment before proceeding to the Amphur.

To arrange marriage ceremony, please contact the hotel at which you plan to stay and request their assistance.

Please note that if you wish to sponsor your spouse for migration to New Zealand, you should contact the Immigration Section at the New Zealand Embassy.

The only forms the Thai Authorities will accept from New Zealand citizens intending to marry in Thailand are those completed and endorsed by the New Zealand Embassy.

Some hotels do provide assistance with legal documents. However, to eliminate problems with Thai authorities, it is advisable that marrying couples obtain their own legal documents.

The steps outlined above are to be done in Bangkok.

Information correct as of June 2002 (fee and conditions subject to change without notice).


Local Office Numbers:
Bangkok: 02-259-8100
Phuket: 076-326-322
Chiang Mai: 053-818-306
Pattaya: 03-300-8830
International Numbers:
US: 1-877-252-8831
UK: 0207-101-9301
Australia: 028-015-5273
Thailand: +66 2259-8100
Request a Quote for Marriage Registration in Thailand
Enter your Name and Email to get Instant Quote for Marriage Registration right away!

Marriage Registration Legal Guide
Procedures on how to register your marriage in Thailand. Get your legal guide now!