Marriage Registration

for Canadian Citizens

In Thailand, a civil marriage is legally recognized once registered at a registrar's office, called a khet in Bangkok or an amphur. Thailand does not permit civil marriage for same-sex couples. You will need to take the following steps to register your marriage in Thailand.

Marriage Registration Process

  1. Obtain an English declaration form with instructions available at the Embassy. Notary walk-in service hours are Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 12:00.
  2. If you are divorced or widowed, please bring the original Certificate of Divorce or Death Certificate to have the declaration notarized.
  3. Complete the English declaration form and submit the completed form to the Embassy with the fee for notary service of CAD$50.
  4. The completed and notarized English declaration must then be translated into Thai by a certified translator. This usually takes 1-2 days to complete.
  5. Have all documents certified at the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

* You may wish to have the certificate of marriage translated into English or French. It may then be notarized at either the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs or at the Embassy of Canada. Notarization should take only half a day.

If you are in Cambodia, Laos, or Myanmar, contact the Embassy in Bangkok directly for details of notarization for marriages in those countries.


Local Office Numbers:
Bangkok: 02-259-8100
Phuket: 076-326-322
Chiang Mai: 053-818-306
Pattaya: 03-300-8830
International Numbers:
US: 1-877-252-8831
UK: 0207-101-9301
Australia: 028-015-5273
Thailand: +66 2259-8100
Request a Quote for Marriage Registration in Thailand
Enter your Name and Email to get Instant Quote for Marriage Registration right away!

Marriage Registration Legal Guide
Procedures on how to register your marriage in Thailand. Get your legal guide now!