Marriage Registration

for Australian Citizens

This information sheet provides Australians with information on how to register a marriage performed in Thailand to ensure it will be recognised as a valid marriage in Australia. The Embassy cannot provide information on other issues, such as organising celebrants or venues. For information on a Thai spouse's immigration to Australia please contact the Immigration Section of the Embassy (DIMIA).

Why Do I Need to Register a Marriage?

Under Thai law a marriage must be registered with Thai authorities to be legally recognised. A valid Thai marriage between adults will then be recognised as a valid marriage in Australia. If you do not register a marriage with the Thai authorities, then you are not legally married, either in Thailand or Australia.

What Do I Need To Do To Register My Marriage?

The marriage must be registered at the Amphoe (or Town Hall), in the district where the marriage took place. In addition to the normal requirements (about which you should seek advice from the celebrant), each Australian party must provide their passport, and the following:

  • Statutory Declaration

    Australians married in Thailand must provide a pro-forma statutory declaration. The Thai Government requires that such declarations be witnessed at the Australian Embassy Bangkok. They will not accept declarations from Australia. A fee of AUD$20 is payable for this service.

  • Death/Divorce Certificates

    If you were previously married, you will need to provide an original divorce or death certificate to demonstrate you are no longer married. You must bring original documents to be certified by the Australian Embassy. The Embassy cannot certify photocopies. A fee of AUD$30 is payable per certified document.

  • Translation

    You must also arrange for the statutory declaration and any applicable divorce/death certificates to be translated into Thai. There are many private translation agencies in Bangkok who can provide this service (for a fee) within one working day.

  • Certification by the Thai Department of Consular Affairs, MFA

    After documents have been translated they must be authenticated (for a fee) by the Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs. For information on this you should contact: Department of Consular Affairs 123 Moo 3, Changwattana Road, Kwang Toong Son Hong, Khet Laksi, Bangkok Tel. (+66-2) 5751061, (+66-2)-5751057; Office hours: 08:30 – 15:30

The Amphur (Town Hall)

When you have completed the above requirements, which can only be completed in Bangkok over at least 2-3 working days, you should go to the Amphoe to register the marriage. An appointment may be required. Your celebrant may be able to assist you with these arrangements.

Need help with legally registering your marriage in Thailand?
Local Office Numbers:
Bangkok: 02-254-8900
Phuket: 084-021-9800
Chiang Mai: 053-818-306
Pattaya: 084-021-9800
International Numbers:
US: 1-877-252-8831
Thailand: +668 2254-8900

Marriage Registration by Nationality