US Tourist Visa

from Thailand

TIP:It is important to use a Thai consultant who is based in Thailand and who can communicate in Thai to prevent errors and misunderstandings. A Thai consultant will handle all application forms, arrange translation of Thai documents into English, help in obtaining police clearance and scheduling medical examinations, and most importantly, prepare your Thai partner for the visa interview.

The United States is one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations. However, obtaining a US Tourist Visa at the US Embassy in Thailand can be difficult without a US immigration attorney to guide you. Thai citizens are not exempt from needing to obtain a visa before entering the US. As a Thai national who wishes to visit the United States, you must first obtain a US Tourist Visa by applying at the US Embassy in Bangkok or the US Consulate in Chiang Mai.

The US Tourist Visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows you to enter the United States temporarily for business (B-1) or as a tourist or a visitor (B-2). For information on other US visas, click here.

US Business Visa Thailand (B-1)

If the purpose of your planned travel is to consult with potential business partners, investigate new business leads, pursue education endeavors, attend seminars or conferences, or negotiate a business deal, then a business (B-1) visitor visa would be the appropriate type of visa for your travel.

US Business Visa applicants from Thailand have a high approval rate when proper supporting documents are presented. To maximize your chances of approval, gather pertinent business documents before your application, such as:

  • Proof of your Thai company’s registration
  • Corporate tax receipts
  • VAT receipts
  • Thai employee social insurance payments
  • Thai bank account statements for the last 3 years
  • Loans by your company
  • Listing of business assets
  • Proof of need for the applicant to attend business matters in the US

US Tourist Visa Thailand (B-2)

A visitor visa (B-2) would be the appropriate type of visa for entry into the United States if the purpose of your travel is:

  • Holiday or vacation
  • Tourism
  • Sightseeing
  • Visits with friends or family
  • Hospital treatment
  • Activities of a social or service nature

The US Tourist Visa allows you as a Thai citizen to travel to the United States. A B-2 Tourist Visa issued by the US Embassy in Thailand may allow the Thai citizen to travel back and forth to the United States for up to 10 years. For each entry into the United States, the B-2 visa holder may be given an authorized period of stay for up to six months.

If you are intent on getting married to an American citizen in the US, officials at the US Embassy in Thailand would most likely deny the Tourist Visa application and advise you to apply for an appropriate visa, such as a K-1 Visa.

It is strongly advised NOT to apply for a tourist visa if you plan to marry in the US. If the interviewing officer discovers your romantic relationship, they will assume that you will stay in the US and not return to Thailand and deny your application. Furthermore, misrepresenting information during a visa application is grounds for future rejections of ALL visa applications for the offending party, in this case, you. In other words, you could be "blacklisted" from entering the US unless you submit a successful I-601 Waiver.

Applying for a US Business or Tourist Visa in Thailand

1. Complete the required DS-160 online application form

The first step of the process is to submit your information as well as details about your purpose of visit via the DS-160 form. You must fill in the relevant sections for your US Tourist Visa and then submit it online. The online form is somewhat long and may take 45 minutes to 1 hour to complete, so you have to be thorough when filling out the form to avoid mistakes. After you submit it, you will get a verification page and code which you need for your visa application packet.

2. Pay the Visa Application Fee

After receiving the confirmation of your DS-160 form, you will also receive payment instructions for the US Embassy visa fee. You must print the payment instructions and pay the relevant fee at any branch of Krungsri Bank in Thailand. The current US visa fee is 4,960 THB.

3. Schedule the US Visa Interview

After you pay the US Visa fee, you can schedule a visa interview through the website of US Embassy in Bangkok. Due to the high workload that they have, make sure you schedule it as soon as possible, well ahead of your planned trip to the US. Once scheduled, you will get an interview confirmation letter which you need to bring to the interview.

4. Prepare the Application Packet

Here are the required documents for a B-1/B-2 US Visa application which you must bring to the interview:

  • Valid passport;
  • Passport photograph (2x2 inches);
  • Form DS-160 confirmation page and code;
  • Receipt of payment of the visa fee;
  • Interview confirmation page printout;
  • A letter describing the purpose of your trip;
  • Proof of financial means, typically financial or bank statements to prove you have the finances to stay in the US;
  • Proof of accommodation in the US;
  • Proof of compelling social and economic ties to Thailand such as family, job contracts, lease contracts, or property deeds (to prove you will return to Thailand and not overstay);
  • US visitor visa invitation letter from friends or family in the US (optional);
  • Criminal record checks or letters from authorities stating that you do not have prior convictions;
  • Documents relevant to your prior US visa application or visits to the US. This only applies if you visited the US before or if you have been refused a US visa;
  • Educational transcripts or diplomas, if your travel is for education;
  • A letter from your employer and payslips for the last three months, if you are currently employed;
  • A letter from your company detailing the purpose of the trip and your job position, if traveling for business purposes.

US Citizens often contact Siam Legal to ask if we can write a letter of support for the Thai applicant to visit the United States. Under US law, however, applicants for a US Tourist Visa must qualify on their own for visas to visit the United States.

5. Attend the Visa Interview

On the date of your interview, a US Embassy consular officer will ask questions about your background and why you want to go to the US. They will also go through your documents to ensure that everything is in order. The interviews do not last long, but make sure to answer questions truthfully and disclose all the necessary information to avoid problems later on.

At the end of the interview, you will know the result of your visa application. If your visa is granted, your passport will be collected by the consular officer. You may opt to collect your passport at a post office or have your passport with the visa mailed to your home address.

Call Us CALL
  • From US:  Sunday - Friday
  • 5:00 PM - 7:00 AM (New York time)
  • 2:00 PM - 4:00 AM (Los Angeles time)
  • From Thailand:  Monday - Friday
  • 4:00 AM - 6:00 PM (Bangkok time)

Why choose Siam Legal to assist with your US Business or Tourist Visa application?

Here at Siam Legal, we provide you with a wide range of services that will make your application process fast, smooth, and stress-free with the maximum chance for approval. These services include, but are not limited to:

  • Full review of your personal, financial, and employment history to determine eligibility
  • Consultation and confirmation that the B-1/B-2 visa is appropriate for you, or recommendations for alternate visas based on your situation
  • An extensive checklist of documents that you need for your B-1/B-2 visa
  • Professional and accurate preparation of your visa application
  • Submission of your visa application by our experienced US Visa Team
  • Careful preparation of all correspondence with the US embassy
  • Expert advice on how to handle yourself at your Consular interview
  • Unlimited, direct personal communication with a US Visa specialist consultant

Contact us to learn more about our services.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a visa to visit the USA from Thailand?

Yes, a Thai national is required to secure a US visa in order to enter the US for any purpose, as there is no visa exemption scheme for Thais.

How long does it take to get a US tourist visa from Thailand?

The application can be completed within 2 to 3 weeks depending on the availability of the visa interview appointments. It is recommended to apply for the visa at least 1 month prior to your intended travel to the US.

How much money do I need to show I have in the bank to get a US tourist visa?

There is no specific amount of money you must have in order for the visa application to be approved, as how much money you will need depends on the nature and duration of your visit. As long as you can demonstrate that you have adequate funds to support yourself for the full duration of your trip and you have adequate funds to return to Thailand, you should be approved.

Can I bring my Thai partner to the USA?

Yes, if your partner intends to visit you or your family in the US, they may apply for a B-2 Visa. If you and your partner intend to get married in the US during the trip, it is recommended that you apply for the K-1 Visa instead.

Do I need to purchase return tickets before applying for a US Tourist Visa?

No, travel tickets are not required to be shown or included in the application packet. However, bringing them to the interview could help establish strong ties and intention to return to Thailand.

How long is a tourist visa valid in America?

The tourist visa can be used for 1, 2, 5, or 10 years depending on your application. However, once you use the visa and enter the USA, you are only permitted to stay in the US for up to 6 months for that particular trip. The actual duration of your permit to stay will be determined by the immigration officer at the port of entry.

Can I work in the US on a Tourist Visa?

No. You cannot acquire permission to work in the US on a tourist visa. Gaining employment illegally while on a B-1 or B-2 Visa can result in you being deported and banned from re-entering the US.

Can I extend my tourist visa while in the US?

No. You will need to leave the country on or before your visa expires to avoid overstaying in the US.

US Immigration Thailand

Ready to start a new chapter of your life in the USA?

Siam Legal’s US Visa Team

  • Over 20 years of experience helping people from all over the world travel to the United States
  • More than 10,000 successful US visa applications.

Speak with an expert US immigration lawyer, or submit the form below to begin the consultation process.

Ken Graham

Ken Graham
US Immigration Attorney
Partner, Siam Legal International

Linda Pringpuangkeo

Natdaphon Luengsawang
Senior US Visa Consultant
Siam Legal International

Call Us CALL
  • From US:  Sunday - Friday
  • 5:00 PM - 7:00 AM (New York time)
  • 2:00 PM - 4:00 AM (Los Angeles time)
  • From Thailand:  Monday - Friday
  • 4:00 AM - 6:00 PM (Bangkok time)

For more information and assistance with your US visa application, fill out and submit this form to send a message to our experienced immigration attorneys. Please be as accurate and detailed as possible to accelerate your consultation process.

Your personal information
Tell us more about your inquiry

By submitting this form, you accepted and agreed on our Privacy Policy and Terms.