Adjustment of Status FAQs | Siam Legal International

Adjustment of Status

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Adjustment of Status (AOS)?

For the purposes of a K-1 visa holder, AOS is the process by which an application is made to the United States Customs and Immigration Service (USCIS) to adjust status from that of a K-1 fiancé of a US Citizen to that of a Legal Permanent Resident of the United States. It is sometimes referred to as a Green Card Application. The beneficiary during the I-129F/K-1 visa process becomes the AOS Applicant and the sponsor of the I-129F becomes the Petitioning Sponsor.

Who is entitled to apply for AOS from K-1?

K-1 Visa holders who entered the US on a K-1 Visa and who married the I-129F petitioner within 90 days of entry to the US.

When should I apply for AOS?

We advise our clients to apply as soon as practicable after entry into the US, but following marriage. Holders of K-1 Visas cannot apply for AOS before they are married and have an original certified copy of their marriage certificate in hand. Bear in mind, and depending on the county in which you were married, it may take some time to obtain the marriage certificate following the actual marriage ceremony. This should be factored in to the timing of any AOS application.

Can I still apply for AOS if the 90-day stay I was given upon entry to the US has expired?

Assuming you married during that 90 day period, you can still apply for AOS. However, you will be ‘out of status’ during any period between the expiration of the 90 days and the receipt by USCIS of your AOS application and technically subject to deportation from the US. Our advice to our K1 AOS clients is always to ensure their AOS application is received by USCIS before the 90-day stay expires. Once the application has been received by USCIS, AOS applicants are granted a period of authorized stay in the US until a decision has been made on their AOS application.

I did a medical as part of my K-1 application, will I need to do another one in the US as part of the AOS application?

Generally no. K1 applicants for AOS are exempt from any further medical requirements provided they apply for AOS within one year of the date of the medical conducted as part of the K1 application. There are certain circumstances where USCIS might require another medical, but they are fairly uncommon.

Will my spouse need to file another Affidavit of Support as part of the AOS application?

Yes, another Affidavit of Support must be filed with the AOS application. It should be noted that the financial requirements are more onerous than those required for the K-1 application and the form is not the same. The Affidavit of Support is a very common source of issues during the AOS process and this is something we regularly help our clients with.

Can I apply for AOS outside the US?

No, USCIS requires the applicant to be physically present in the US at the time of application and, following entry to the US and once the application is filed, you will be unable to work or leave the US until your application is approved or you receive Employment Authorisation/Advance Parole, whichever is soonest. If you leave the US before you receive Advance Parole or your AOS application is approved, USCIS will consider your AOS application abandoned. AOS is generally a lengthy process and we advise our clients with an ongoing need to work and/or travel to consider marrying and applying for a CR-1 Visa before they permanently settle in the US.

What is Employment Authorization/Advance Parole (EAD/AP)?

Due to the often lengthy period involved in processing AOS applications, USCIS allows applications for EAD/AP to be made concurrently with an application for AOS which grant the ability to work in the US (Employment Authorisation Document) and travel outside the US (Advance Parole) before a decision has been on the underlying AOS application. The grant of EAD/AP is usually (but not always) made by USCIS before the AOS application is approved and the two applications (EAD/AP) are commonly combined into a single card called a ‘Combo Card’ which the applicant receives following the approval. It is recommended to apply concurrently for EAD/AP and will automatically include the relevant applications with any K-1 AOS application unless specifically instructed to do otherwise.

Where are applications processed and how long do they take?

All applications (AOS/EAD/AP) are initially processed by the USCIS National Benefits Centre (NBC) in Missouri and EAD/AP applications are processed at the NBC in their entirety. The NBC will conduct an initial review of the various applications and, if they consider one or more of them to be deficient in any way, will either reject the application outright for a resubmission or issue a Request for Further Initial Evidence. Once the NBC is satisfied that the applications are complete, they will process the EAD/AP application and send the AOS application to a local field office.

Waiting times at the time of writing for EAD/AP approval by the NBC are approximately 3 – 6 months.

Waiting times for AOS interview/approval depend upon the field office dealing with the application and, at the time of writing, range from anything between 3 months to 24 months.

What are the USCIS fees for the applications?

At the time of writing, USCIS fees for AOS are $1,225 which includes biometrics (the taking of photographs and fingerprinting). EAD/AP fees are waived for EAD/AP applications filed concurrently with a K-1 AOS application.

What makes a successful AOS/EAD/AP application?

Successful applications require a great deal of time, care and attention to detail. For many the process can be stressful, there are lengthy forms to fill out and a significant amount of supporting evidence needs to be provided. We have years of experience and expertise dealing with AOS/EAD/AP applications, a real time, up to the moment view of the process and, as rules and practices continually evolve, know precisely what USCIS is looking for in an application at any given time.

We can deal with the entire process from start to finish on your behalf and present the application in a way that gives you the best chance of success without encountering any of the common pitfalls and accompanying delays or stress.

Please contact us for more details. We’ll be happy to help.

Meet Our US Visa Team

US Immigration Thailand

Adjustment of Status Package

Gold Package
  • Consultation with our Immigration Attorneys
  • Preparation and Submission of Adjustment Status Package
  • Preparation and Submission of the I-131 Application for Travel Document
  • Preparation and Submission of the I-765 Application for Employment Authorization (EAD)
  • Follow up and Response to USCIS inquiries
  • Unlimited Responses to Client’s Questions Regarding the Case

Local Office Numbers:
Bangkok: 02-254-8900
Phuket: 084-021-9800
Chiang Mai: 053-818-306
Pattaya: 084-021-9800
International Numbers:
US: 1 (877) 252-8831
Thailand: +66 2254-8900